Slack provides us with a quick way to interact with one another. The ability to quickly ask questions has provided us with a new level of communications that has been difficult to maintain in the past. With Slack we’ve created a community of folks who you can quickly access instead of the traditional methods of email.
To get involved on Slack the process is fairly straightforward. Follow the directions below and you’ll be connected as soon as we approve your account.
- Open up your favorite browser and go to tamu.slack.com
- Type in your @tamu.edu email address. You must use this address as all others are automatically blocked.
- While you wait for approval, download the clients from your app store or check this link for the latest versions.
- When you get approved, you’ll need to sign into the TAMU Slack account on every client you’d like to use.
- To join the GoWeb channel,
Getting the most out of slack isn’t too difficult. Making sure it doesn’t annoy you too much with notifications is even easier. Check out these resources to get the most out of Slack.
While slack provides numerous ways to connect a variety of apps it’s difficult to maintain the security of file sharing from a central standpoint. Keep in mind that while the connections to slack are secure, the ability to file share open ended links is a possibility. With that in mind do not upload the following types of data:
- Credit Card Information
- FERPA related information
- Usernames and passwords for any service
- Social Security numbers
- Documents that contain sensitive university/college information.